One of the disorders that is very present nowadays is fibromyalgia. The disorder is musculoskeletal and the main symptoms it causes are widespread joint and muscle pain, fatigue, mood and memory problems etc. After osteoarthritis, this is the most common musculoskeletal condition. Yet, the medical world doesn’t quite understand it.
Women can have fibromyalgia more than men. There is no cure for it. The symptoms are quite similar to the ones osteoarthritis causes, so it’s extremely important to understand them as well as all the risk factors connected to this disorder. You need to treat it in a proper way.
The Mayo Clinic claims that there are three risk factors which can increase your chances of developing fibromyalgia at some point of your life:
- Sex. As we have mentioned it previously, women are the ones who have it more than men.
- Family history. In case there was someone with fibromyalgia in your family, your risk of developing this disorder becomes increased.
- Rheumatic disease. In case you have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, you might also develop fibromyalgia.
This disorder often causes fatigue, widespread pain and many parts of the body become very painful to touch. Your sleeping habits will also be disturbed and it might cause depression.
Here are some other symptoms fibromyalgia can also cause:
– Abdominal pain
– Chronic headaches
– Tingling or numbness in your feetand fingers
– Dryness in your nose, eyesand mouth
– Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
– Hypersensitivity to cold and/or heat
– Inability to concentrate
If you want to find out whether you have fibromyalgia, the specialist has to eliminate all causes and symptoms. They should order a blood test so that they could rule out any conditions which cause fatigue and pain. As soon as the doctor can confirm you have fibromyalgia, the treatment can be some of the following ones:
– Pain relievers.The doctor can give you ibuprofen or other pain relievers. They will help you sleep better and decrease the discomfort.
– Antidepressants. The fatigue as well as the pain will be treated with them.
– Antiseizure drugs. They proved to be effective by numerous patients as they reduce the pain.
Visit the National Fibromyalgia Association in case you want to see other treatment options as well as additional resources, such as specific treatment options that can help you live with fibromyalgia.